Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Psalm 59


















British Colombia, Library of Congress archive




sometimes this beautiful world locks me out
as if by some mean trick
i can't come in
the blackness of the enemies lies
tell me to not try
the joy is for someone else
memories confirm it all
my heart catches up
and tears spill too much pain

glimpses today of light
in
student i've known since kindergarten
huge teddy-bear-like josh
with equally huge bible under his arm
book marker ribbon
giving it away
in that war zone middle school
"hi, ms. d!"
"hi, josh. whatcha got there?"
"oh! that's my favorite book!
let me show you what i read
just this morning."
my fingers fumble eagerly
not wanting to forget
what i read
wanting to remember
as the noise of that place
starts to shut me out
the blackness
says i can't come in
i fight the fear
try to be strong
grope for the truth again...
"ms. d., you read already this morning?"

everybody loves josh
he asks so genuinely
"how are you today?"
and then he listens
and looks you straight
in the eyes
he wants to know
he wants to give
maybe he feels safe
being so tall
so huge
maybe though, it's been God
who's been huge
he carries
glimpses of light


"Because of His strength I will watch for Thee, For God is my stronghold. My God in His lovingkindness will meet me; God will let me look triumphantly upon my foes." Psalm 59:9,10....."But as for me, I shall sing of Thy strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Thy lovingkindness in the morning, For Thou hast been my stronghold, And a refuge in the day of my distress. O my strength, I will sing praises to Thee; For God is my stronghold, the God who shows me lovingkindness." Psalm 59:16,17

No comments:

Post a Comment